Binge Eating Disorder (BED) is a serious eating disorder that can be life threatening if left un-treated. It is characterized by eating large amounts of food during a discrete period of time, experiencing a lack of sense of control and not using any compensatory behaviors such as purging or exercise. Binge Eating Disorder is the most prevalent eating disorder in the United States effecting an estimated 3.5% of women and 2% of men. 30 %- 40% of those seeking weight loss treatments can be clinically diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder.
Binge Eating Disorder
Signs & Symptoms of Binge Eating Disorder
- Episodes of eating larger quantities of food than others would consider normal
- Not feeling in control of how much or how often you eat
- Eating rapidly
- Eating until uncomfortably full
- Eating alone due to shame or embarrassment about the types or quantities of food consumed
- Weight fluctuations
- Feelings of disgust or shame after overeating
- Frequent dieting
- Possible physical symptoms: Weight gain, malnutrition, obesity related health concerns such as hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, and heart disease.
Binge Eating Disorder Treatment
Treatment for Binge Eating Disorder is not primarily aimed at weight loss, but rather on stabilizing a person’s nutritional intake and behaviors related to food. Living Hope focuses our treatment on stabilizing behaviors and helping restore a person’s relationship with food. We believe that all foods should fit within a balanced meal plan so that no foods are off limits. Our goal is to help identify the function of food or binge behaviors in a person’s life and help develop healthy coping skills.
Not sure if you meet the criteria for Binge Eating Disorder? Have some of the symptoms but not all?
Contact us today for a free and confidential phone assessment.